Being Thrifty

When Röbby told me I had to to “tighten my belt” I was very upset.  I am extremely slender and would have to punch an extra hole on even an XS belt in order to make it any tighter.  It turns out that is a phrase that means “save money”.  Just say what you mean, honey!

I don’t mind being careful with our finances because of course we have a second home now.  One of the suggestions Röbert made was that I could make my own smoothies instead of buying the expensive ones at the gym.  That sounded doable, so I went right out on Monday and bought a Vitamix.  It turns out that I don’t like chopping stuff up to put in the mixer and I also don’t like smoothies.  I had only told Röbert that was what I was spending some money on because he is always so unreasonable about my clothing budget.  Maybe Starling can use the mixer when she is doing her next cleanse.

I was feeling very thrifty, so I decided to also purchase a coffee maker so I don’t have to buy my coffee from that chic little shop downtown.  It was hard to decide, but I chose this one.

2:2:16 coffee

It was very pricey and I also had to order some Kopi Luwak coffee, but it is so pretty.

Too bad I don’t care for coffee and I ended up going to to the coffee shop twice already because that is what I enjoy doing with my gal pals.

I also told Röb that I could make the children’s clothing, but honestly, that is pretty unrealistic.  I went ahead and ordered handmade clothing made by other people for Starling and Merlin.  They haven’t arrived yet but are so chic.

2:3:16 coat

For Starling.  I hope it still fits next fall!

2:3:16 knitwear

For Merlin.  Even the pants are hand knit!

Despite all of my penny pinching I ran right through my weekly budget in the first two days.  I tried the credit card I had borrowed from Röb’s wallet but he had cancelled it, so I had to call him.  He was furious, and said that was my monthly budget, not my weekly one.  LOL!  I think he needs to make some more money.

Anywho, if anyone has some great money saving schemes, I would love to hear about them.  Except not if they involve buying food at Walmart or Sam’s Club.  No way.

33 thoughts on “Being Thrifty

1. HotWifeSuperMom

My second cousin, Sheree, jumps in dumpsters and collects newspapers that were thrown out. Then she cuts out a bunch of coupons. Maybe you could try that? She also goes to chic restaurants and fancy grocery stores (like Whole Foods) after hours and digs for expired food they threw out. The expiration dates are apparently just a suggestion and the food is still great (so says Sheree). You might want to try that?

BTW, I’m so sorry about your divorce, Lah Lee. I always found you and Robbie to be such an aspirational couple, but that gunshot wound must have made your butt look really terrible if he’s walked away from you this way.

2. Rose Lens

I hear you can buy boxed food and have it delivered to your doorstep. This delivery system will save you gas money. Im sure there are services that deliver wines and spirits too. Plus there are plenty of other services that deliver right to the door like gift boxes for dogs.In home personal trainer, my neighbor has oxygen delivered I hear extra oxygen is great for the skin.

This is a great point. And I think you could use your organization skills to do a fundraiser to provide orphans with oxygen too so they can get a little mental boost. And then you might get free oxygen with every $1000 you raise or something. Leverage your skills, my dear!

A disfigured wife is a terrible burden especially if she was a model when you left for Vietnam and all kinds of short and fat when you come back. It’s only natural that a man needs a true beauty to turn to. It helps if she is also quite wealthy. One can feel sorry for the woman left behind even as one marries the man and supports his presidential ambitions.

But I’m sure nothing like this is going on with Bobsers.

3. Momma M

Lolly, does your loving, supportive, doting husband have life insurance? I’d hate for him to become gastly ill or get into an accident and you poor thing be left penniless, with three beautiful, talented, and intelligent children to feed and clothe. Monthly premiums aren’t too expensive and could probably be rolled into your monthly mortgages and home insurance. You know…just in case 😉

4. Equestrian pilates mama

Two words – Sponsored content

You need to go on a tagging spree on instagram, and once they see what a popular blogger you are, they will jump at the chance.
    #kleenex #blueapron #target #sugardaddy.com

5. Furmama

Oh Lah Lee, it is just like your generous giving nature to want to help out with this financial issue. But how did it it get to putting on a smaller belt (or whatever that saying is)? I hate to say this but it sounds like Roebert did not plan carefully for this second home and now he is asking you to pay the price. What sacrifices is he making on his side? After all, he is already living in the new place and is not around all the time to help with your littles. Maybe he should cut back on some things so you are not the only one who suffers!

6. Annie

OK, so you will end up with spousal support for a limited time. The court will expect you to get a job. You will get child support that will taper off as each kid turns 18. You don’t get to spend that on yourself. It’s expected to pay bills for the house. You need to grow up!

7. 12thFetus4Jesus

I have a really good money saving tip for you, Lah Lee. Take your littles to Goodwill in their oldest, most worn out shoes. Find a decent looking pair for them to try on. Leave their old shoes on the rack. Wa-lah! New shoes. It isn’t stealing because it is Goodwill and everything there is used anyway. “Take a pair, leave a pair” says this Mama of 11+.

I already do this, only at regular shoe stores that keep their stock out for people to rummage through. If they are too lazy to scamper in the back and grab a box off the shelf they must expect people will “trade up”.

8. Bee

Have an old school garage sale but it might look tacky so say you are raising money for charity. I doubt anyone questions you. Surely Robert has some outdoorsy gear that could fetch a good price.

I am already gathering tear-jerking photos of sick and injured animals to display! Do you think I have to play that awful Sarah McLachlan caterwauling to get people in the mood to spend?

1. Hill-baby

Even better, why not start a GoFundMe page? You could say you are raising money for an animal charity or something (I mean people are all over trying to save animals). I bet you could get tons of “donations” without ever having to leave the house!

9. Suzy

I’ve been trying to accidentally google your husband’s name. Is it Robert without the dots? Confused.

Also, if you stop eating, then you would save money and fit into 00 belts.

Ooh, I agree! I can’t wait to see how you designed the interior of your new city pad. I guess the fancy new coffeemaker is going there? Rob must be letting you have a reasonable budget for outfitting the new apartment outside of your regular monthly budget, right?

It must be so exciting planning the decor for your new second home! Are you going to be staying there at weekends?
    As for the home made boys outfit, it looks a little more Homeus’s style than Marvel’s? Can’t wait to see your littles in their new outfits – haven’t seen many pics of them for ages, and I’m getting withdrawal symptoms! They are soooo cute!