Another My Grain

This morning I woke up with a lil’ my grain.  Röbert pulled out all the stops last night. He had arranged for Grandmama to have the lil’ ones overnight and we had dinner in the city at that new restaurant where it is impossible to get reservations.   Afterward he suggested we go out for a drink and he took me to a hot disco where Cari and Krystyn were both waiting to surprise me.  We all just danced the night away!  I think Cari may have helped him out a bit with ideas about where to go, but it was magical!

He also didn’t completely fail with the gift.  He bought me some beautiful shoes in the right size.  They are moccasins, so more for slumming around home than anything, but he found the right store. Again, I think I have Cari to thank.  I love how close she and Röbert have gotten!

A huge improvement over the kayak lessons, right?

A huge improvement over the kayak lessons, right?

The kids had homemade gifts for me.  Honestly, when will they learn?  Hummus has been too busy with his tennis career to make anything, so I think my payoff with him will be well worth it, but ten or twelve years off.  Starling’s gift was actually really sweet.  It was a book of coupons with things like “Good For…One Hug,” in it.  I can’t wait to redeem them!

She is just so thoughtful to think of all of these treats for me!

She is just so thoughtful to think of all of these treats for me!

Merlin made me a cake but it wasn’t even the kind I like.  Oh well, I had a lovely piece of cake at the restaurant last night.

It is all crooked and wonky!  LOL!  We couldn't stop laughing when we saw it!

It is all crooked and wonky! LOL! We couldn’t stop laughing when we saw it!

Röbert is lucky he did so well for my birthday because he pulled a lil’ prank on me today that would normally have me furious.  He has been telling me that he is “working on” the vacay, so I shouldn’t reserve the gorgeous beach front villa just yet, even though it will probably be rented right out from under us at any minute.  Then, when I finally dragged myself out of bed at midday, he said he had arranged with one of his friends to borrow his hunting cabin for a week.  He had better be joking.  He even went so far as to show me a photo.

Obviously this has to be a joke.  Right?

Obviously this has to be a joke. Right?

I didn’t give him the satisfaction of laughing or crying.  I just said, “Right,” and walked away.  I kept thinking about it all through Pilates for Pros and Extreme Yoga.  It’s a joke.  I am sure it is a joke.

It’s obviously just a not very funny joke.  I am not laughing, but it must be a joke.

I think a lil’ drop of vodka will help the my grain.

18 thoughts on “Another My Grain

1. Mom2Lex+Zander

Your birthday sounds delightful. I wish you posted a pic of your outfit!
    Starling is such a sweetie! She writes even better than my Zander, who is going into kinder this fall!

2. AbsaSteele

Those shoes are really unusual, in a weird kind of way. Do you and Roebbie have some sort of inside joke about Elvis? Like, Blue, Blue, Blue Suede shoes? But that doesn’t really make since, since Elvis is a boy. Although, you both do have short hair. Huh.

Idk, I think those loafers look sort of Chico’s-ish. But then again, you are getting older. Is Roebbie maybe telling you that he likes older ladies and not to fret about your getting more wear on your ol’ tires? I guess that’s kind of sweet.

3. AbsaSteele

And hahahaha wrt that “hunting lodge.” It looks like an army barrack POW thing! As if! lol Your hubs is a riot.

Your birthday celebration sounds lovely! You are so blessed to have R®bert as your hubby and Cari as a good friend! Maybe you can sign Merlin up for cake decorating classes and he can make you a cake next year that looks like it was baked by a professional. Does Cake Boss have internships, I wonder?

That hunting cabin must indeed be a joke. Surely Røbert knows you’d never step foot, especially a Hermès moccasin-clad-foot, in that place. Or is he taking the kids by himself and letting you get your well-deserved me-time in?

Cake decorating classes are a good idea. My local craft store offers them and they are practically free. He could definitely earn his keep if he paid attention.

That cabin is not even real. It is like a nightmare come true.

5. suzy

I wonder if Robert and Cari will go scout the location for you since you are so busy.

What are you exchanging the shoes for?

I would never exchange such a thoughtful gift from my husband. I will wear them to do housekeeping and remember that at least he went to a nice store and remembered that I love bright colors.

i think the cake looks delicious! That Merlin will be quite the catch someday. Exchange the shoes for the H belt or a bracelet. They are much more chic. That is great that Cari gets long so well with Röbert.

Starling said the cake was ‘sgusting and I believe her. I tossed it today.
      I LOVE my gift from Röbert. I don’t know why you want me to exchange it. Maybe if you treated your sweety’s gifts with respect you wouldn’t be divorced 4 or 5 times

You must be confusing me with anther reader, Lah Lee. I am very happily married to an extremely successful man. It”s my first and only marriage. I misunderstood. I thought you were not pleased with the shoes. Please accept my apologies for suggesting a return. Obviously, I misread the tone of your writing.

2. Equestrian pilates Mama

Oh dear, why on Earth was Starling eating the cake? I hope she hasn’t fallen off the dieting wagon Lah Lee.

I have shown her how to eat cake like a lady. She tasted one crumb and a tiny dot of frosting, then threw the rest of her piece in the garbage and poured dish soap all over it so she wouldn’t be tempted.

7. Equestrian pilates Mama

Wow, I’m so impressed that Röbbie got you a designer birthday gift. Cari is such a great influence on him. Isn’t it great that your Hubby and best friend hit it off so well!
    I did have to groan at Merlins birthday cake. Chocolate icing and sprinkles? I hate it when kids give self-serving gifts like that! Luckily Starling was more thoughful with her coupon to the toy shop. What a darling girl!