The Pretty One

Everybody knows that in all friendships there is a pretty one.  I have always been the prettiest in my circle of friends (also the most fun and kindest, but that is another post!).

Here I am with Karen a few months ago.  LOL!  I mean obviously!

Oh my gosh.  Poor Karen.  I'd spend my days crying too if that was the best I could do with my hair.

Oh my gosh. Poor Karen. I’d spend my days crying too if that was the best I could do with my hair.

Not all of my friends are complete uggos, of course.  My friend Krystyn is very fit and skinny, but Röbert always says she is not as pretty as me, at all.  I think she sometimes looks like she tries too hard.

I have never seen her without full war mask makeup and her hair requires hours of maintenance after kickboxing class.

And, while Amber is a lovely little girl, I think we all know who the pretty one is here!

For starters, look who is skinnier!

For starters, look who is skinnier!

But I was feeling a little uncomfortable around my new friend Cari.  She is very fit and lovely, inside and out.  What if I was the ugly friend this time?

She looks picture perfect, even when running.

She looks picture perfect, even when running.

So, when I ran into Ty this morning on a hiking trail near the reservoir, I asked him for the truth.  Am I ugly next to Cari?   He was very sweet and very diplomatic.  He said that I am lovely no matter who I am with and when I asked him specifically about who has skinnier thighs, he said my thighs are fine.  Phew!

21 thoughts on “The Pretty One

1. Grammarian

You and your new friend both look a little chunky there, maybe more yoga and less kickboxing? Don’t want to bulk up

2. Beth

Lah Lee, I think it’s important to deeply cultivate an internal sense of self-confidence.

There will always be women more beautiful than you, just like there will always be people who are more outgoing/fun/interesting than you. However, as long as you have a strong sense of yourself and your worth, you can appreciate their strengths and enjoy their friendship without getting jealous or insecure.

Krystyn and Cari seem like beautiful, lovely women. Don’t waste time comparing yourself to them.

3. OMG

I think Cari is prettier than you, sorry. But I think a little expensive make up, maybe an expensive skin evening cream, and a new hair color/style would tip the scales back into your favor.

It’s hard work being beautiful. I know you work hard at the gym. Obviously, your body blows Cari’s out of the water. Now it’s time to take it to the next level and work hard on your face. I bet Cari does? She probably even uses Botox.

1. OMG

Honesty is not an attack Lah Lee. If it makes you feel better your body and thighs are p definitely better than Cari’s. Maybe a good chemical peel will bump you up. If not you’ll have to drop Cari.

4. suzy

#lifegoals

Your thighs are skinnier. Maybe if Merlin would help out more you’d have more time to get work done like cari. I mean not to say she has definitely had some work done but we all have our priorities. Some people like you prioritize your children.

1. Pearshaped

Oh, for sure, whoever did the work on Cari’s nose and neck is very, very good. You wouldn’t notice it, if you didn’t know where to look. She should lay off the Botox, though and what’s with the Clown make-up, did she have her make-up gun set to Bozo? And look at those Botox brows. After all, plastic, no matter how well done, is still plastic, so don’t you worry, Lah Lee, you’re the real thing and nobody likes a face that never moves.

Well, your friend Cari IS very beautiful on the outside but part of your beauty Lah Lee is what shines through from the inside and that cannot always be seen in a photo. You are always putting others first. You always try to help those less fortunate. You go out of your way to let other take care of your children. You are such a devoted wife, mother and friend. You beauty runs very deep.

So back to Karen. She has really gained a lot of weight and she is crying a lot? Maybe it IS menopause?! Sounds hormonal. That might be why Mitch left her. It’s all down hill after that!

Your outside BBQ party sounded so fun. Wish I could have been there.

6. Jacqueline V

Hmmm… you’re both pretty! I think your thighs are thinner though. You should get an unbiased opinion and ask Roebert. Of course, he’ll tell you the truth that you are more beautiful but Roebert seems to be so good and kind to your friends. Especially those who seem a bit down. I bet Roebert would be super nice to her like he is to Karen.

Out of your many, many friends, Cari is the prettiest.
    But her left eye is smaller than her right and she does have bigger thighs, so you are definitely the prettier friend.
    Plus, her husband left her, so maybe she isn’t as pretty under all that makeup.

Wow, Karen has packed on the weight since that photo was taken. Maybe somebody needs to put some brochures on obesity and heart disease anonymously in her letterbox.

8. Baseball Babe

OMGoodness, you have done SUCH a good job at striking a balance between having friends who aren’t complete dogs (woof, amiright!?, LOL!) and not having super-fake gorgeous friends. You don’t want to hang around real uglies because then people think you have low standards. And if your friends are fake-gorg then you have to work too hard to maintain the ridiculous level of plastic they’ve set. Really. Who has time for Botox and Lifestyle lifts? You are busy volunteering for the school, entertaining, staying fit and taking care of your babies. Obviously your priorities are right where they should be – that shines through in every one of your posts! I so want to be like you – balancing family, friends, a picture-perfect marriage – and still having time to post relevant and thought provoking posts each day so we don’t miss a moment of your amazing life!! You are doing it all right.

And OMGosh, poor Karen. It’s awful she is gaining weight. Do you have any Beach Body coaches around? Maybe you can help her out and hook her up with a coach. A few shakes a day is probably all she needs to try to get back to at least a healthier weight. She’s never going to be thin like you – menopause is a bitch, pardon my French! – but at least she could look a little bit healthier. Especially if she’s going to be seen with you, right?

1. Yummy Mommy Pregnant Tummy

I bet she’s putting on all the weight in her middle. She better watch out; if she gets any fatter people might start thinking she is pregnant! LOL! Imagine having a baby at her advanced age.

I think I know the difference between pregnant and fat. First of all, Karen is too old to be pregnant and, unless she is carrying in the thighs and chin, I am pretty sure it is just plain old overweight, fatty Karen. This has happened to her before.