A Romantic Evening

I woke up this morning with a bit of a my grain so Röbert was happy to let me sleep in, and he even brought me breakfast (black coffee, my favorite!) and the newspaper (actually Us Weekly, we don’t get a newspaper) in bed so I could relax.  What a wonderful husband!

We were up late last night having an absolutely wonderful time with Röbert’s friends from college and their wives, who are now such dear friends to me.  We barbecued steaks and ate outside for the first time this spring.  I love casual fun evenings like we had, filled with laughter and happy memories.

The only uncomfortable part was that we could actually hear Karen crying really loudly in her house, which overlooks our yard.  I was mortified for her, felt kind of sorry for her, but also, it  put a real damper on our own festivities.  I asked Röbert to go over to encourage her to stop crying, but he would not go over.  So finally I had to walk over there and found her looking even worse than I imagined.  Her whole face was red and puffy (well, even puffier than usual) and she has gained a bit of weight since I last saw her.  I invited her to come join us but she wasn’t interested (thank goodness!  Imagine that pulling up to join our group of young, chic friends, LOL!) I told her we could hear her making some noise and I wanted to make sure she was okay, and she said something very rude and slammed the door in my face.  At least she stopped wailing, so we could enjoy ourselves after that.

I told Röbert how rude she was to me and shed a quiet tear, and I think he now understands what a monster she really is.

At the end of the evening one of the gals took a quick snapshot of us, which is already my favorite photo ever.  I wonder if it would be weird to send it to a few select friends and neighbors, to remind them how happy we are and to prevent any gossip about us?  LOL.

So happy with my guy!

So happy with my guy!

26 thoughts on “A Romantic Evening

How peculiar of Karen and how difficult for you! She really ought to have more respect for herself and keep her feelings private. I’m glad you managed to enjoy yourself anyway. And it was very caring of you to go ver and check she was ok. You are a wonderful neighbour!

I was so embarrassed for her! Everyone could hear her and it was just unladylike to make noises like that. Also, I don’t think the cake I saw her eating was the only one this week, if you catch my drift.

I try to be a good person but she used extremely rude language with me before she slammed the door. I am starting to be concerned for Beefeater’s well being. I wish there was someone I could call anonymously to have them check up on him.

2. Jacqueline V

Gosh Lah lee, it was sooooooo sensitive and sweet of you to go to Karen VonPoopleberry’s house to see how she was feeling and she slams the door in your face?? What did she say to you? It was quite thoughtful of you to let her know how loud her crying was to try to save her from embarrassment too. Do you think Beefeater will turn vicious again?? You’ve done so much already and I be Roebert is furious she was so rude to you. Maybe he’ll march over there and give her a good what-for for her rotten behavior.

She said, “Fuck you, Lah Lee,” and slammed the door right in my face. I was shocked. Röbert wanted to go right over and tell her to leave me out of it, but I reminded him that it was kinder just to leave her be right now.

1. Pearshaped

How rude! But it’s great that you’re taking the high road.
        Wait. Leave you out of what exactly? Did they have a landscaping related disagreement? Like, do you have a tree that grows over their yard or something? Because what other neighbourly conflicts could possibly arise between a hunk and his frumpy elderly neighbour?

2. Pearshaped

Of course, silly me, I should have thought before commenting. Mitch must have told your Röbert about his and Karen’s problems. Her outburst clearly was one of jealousy and frustration. She’s ruined her marriage simply by being her, while yours will never see a single dark cloud. Bless her heart, for one can only pity poor old Karen as she’ll never experience what women like us have.

3. Jacqueline V

I… I… I’m stunned. She IS a snake! Do you still have Mitch’s number? I’d be real tempted to call him to see if he’s ok if that’s the way she’s treating people!

4. Beth

I hate to be the one to have to tell you, but it seems like maybe your husband has been unfaithful to you with Karen and that’s why she’s so upset.

Lol! Lol! Lol! Welcome, Beth. May I suggest that you actually read my blog and look at the photos of Karen and also look at the photos of me. Then, take a quick stroll through the photos of my handsome hubby, Röbert. Once you have seen what we all look like, and how old we are, I think you will realize how laughable your comment is.

1. Jacqueline V

@beth @grammarian WHY would you say such things? Especially on a blog? It’s really not nice to jump to conclusions and make poor Lah Lee think Roebert would stray even for a second.
        You both must not have very nice marriages – if you’re even married. My husband helps our single neighbor lady a lot but she’s way too young for my husband, like 23.

5. Lucille B

Oh, Lah Lee, you’re such a good person. What a wonderful friend and neighbor you’re trying to be to Karen, and then she responds by being so rude with what she says and then slamming the door in your face! You’re such an inspiration with how kind, gracious, and loving you are- more people should try to be more like you.

But as far as your friendship with Karen goes, I think maybe it’s time to cut your losses. Anyone would be so blessed to have you as a friend (I know we haven’t met, but I’d love to have a friend like you!), as especially her, to be seen as being friends with someone so young, thin, and attractive. It’s her loss if she wants to be a horrible, rude snake to you. I think it’s time for you to foster your friendships with the people who care and who see you as the amazing person you are- Röbert’s co-workers wives, your new friend Cari, and all the readers you have here LOL! They’ll appreciate you more than Karen does.

That photo of you and Röbert is brilliant. I think you should make it your default picture on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, everywhere! And have it blown up and printed onto canvas and have it displayed in your home. It’s clear that there’s so much love between the two of you, and anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly a blind snake!!!

1. Lucille B

It sure seems like she has! I’m glad to see you’re not letting it get you down. Move on from her, keep on being your fabulous self. She’ll get what she deserves (being fat and alone and probably super-jealous while she cries in her house), and you’ll get what you deserve- three gorgeous children who adore you, a smokin’ hot hubby (don’t worry, not trying to steal him! As if I could anyway LOL!), and friends who think you’re the greatest!

PS, sorry for my long comments, I just really admire you and think you’re a really good person who doesn’t deserve any hate!

6. Julia Rainbow

Calm down, Grammarian. It is DEEPLY disturbing to think Robert could have done this. Besides he has been traveling way too much and working too hard to have time for a fat expired neighbor . Karen and Mitch are just having a heated growth experience and will be fine. My love coach says couples should never give up, even when one of them might have a big fat ass and a princess’ sense of entitlement.

Thanks Julia, you are so nice. I don’t understand why some people insist on being haters and making up stories about my marriage. Clearly your marriage has really worked out well and brings you happiness and joy every day. Maybe Grammarian and Beth need a lil’ visit with your love coach.

7. deealexander3

Wow- I shouldn’t be surprised to see “haters” commenting- all of the super successful, gorgeous, skinny bloggers have them.
    Beth, dear, didn’t your mother ever teach you the Golden Rule?

8. Kimmie

BETH and other haters like her need to “step off.” They just don’t get it. Its so laughable to imagine your DH with your elderly neighbor. Its not even worth thinking about for two seconds because its so impossible. Robert travels for work so much, how would he even have time? Not to mention how you are so much prettier, younger and in better shape than your neighbor. But BETH and other’s like her become jealous of you’re marriage and they try to make comments that will sow the seed of discontent. Just ignore it LahLee and keep inspiring us with your positive spirit and incredible dedication to physical fitness!

Where did you get that beautiful wall hanging in the background of the photo of you and your DH?